In May, Small Business Optimism rose to 107.8 - the second highest level in the 45-year survey history according to JobCreators. Income...
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issued a Holiday Decoration Safety Tips Flyer and here are some tips to keep in mind as you decorate your home and business for the holidays:
- Keep candles away from flammable decorations
- Never leave them unattended
- Always use non-flammable holders
- Use non-combustible or flame-resistant materials
- Wear gloves when applying spun glass/angel hair to avoid irritation
- Avoid trimmings that resemble candy or food
- Avoid glass or sharp, breakable ornaments
- Remove all greens, paper or decorations from the fireplace area.
- Make sure the flue is open
- Use a screen in front of the fireplace at all times
- Do not burn papers in the fireplace
- Never place trimmings near open flames or electrical connections
- Use materials labeled non-combustible or flame-resistant
- Keep trees away from fireplaces, radiators and other heat sources.
- Cut off two inches of the trunk to expose fresh wood for better water absorption
- Place the tree out of the way of traffic and do not block doorways
- Use thin guy-wires to secure a large tree to walls or ceilings
- Artificial snow sprays can irritate lungs if inhaled
- To avoid injury, read instructions carefully
- Check each strain for cracked sockets, frayed cords, or bare wires
- Fasten outdoor lights securely to trees, houses, walls or other firm support to protect from wind damage
- Use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord
- Never use electric lights on a metallic tree
Follow these tips to enjoy a safe holiday season.